Blueberry, Baobab & Buttermilk Reduced Fat/ Sugar Cake
BLUEBERRY, BAOBAB & BUTTERMILK REDUCED SUGAR AND FAT CAKE
290g Spelt flour
20g Rye Flour
2 tbsp Baobab Powder (substitute any powdered flavouring according to taste)
1 tbsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
100g Caster Sugar
2 tsp Lemon Extract
60g Butter, melted
150g Blueberries (or any berry)
2 tbsp Demerara Sugar
1. Preheat Oven 180C, grease and line a 8 x 12 Brownie Tin.
2. Mix the flours, baobab, baking powder, caster sugar and salt in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl mix the eggs, buttermilk and lemon extract.
4. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until only just combined (do not overmix) then mix in the melted butter.
5. Pour the batter into the tin, then sprinkle with the Demerara and the Berries.
6. Bake on the middle shelf for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. It’s important not to overbake this cake as the low fat content will dry it out.
7. Cool for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.