So, you’re getting an impromptu visit from friends or family? As much as they say, ‘oh anything will do, we don’t mind’ that bomb explodes in your head….’I must create a Michelin starred meal in 24 minutes or else they’ll think I’m an undomesticated slob….’ Yes, I feel you.
So sometimes, it’s fine to cheat just a little. Whether you use homemade ingredients that you’ve snaffled from the freezer, or make a quick supermarket run, no one will know/ care because this is a huge mound that says ‘I love you because I MADE THIS’
About 10 minutes to put together, about 10 seconds to eat….
4 Blueberry Muffins
4 tsp Blueberry Jam
4 Scoops Vanilla Ice Cream
170g Egg White (5/6 Eggs)
250g Caster Sugar
¼ tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Cream of Tartar
1. Using a spoon, scoop a little core from the top of each muffin, fill with 1tsp of jam and replace the little plug.
2. Top with a ball of vanilla ice cream and pop in the freezer on a tray with the other muffins.
3. Meanwhile, add the remaining ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer over a pan of barely simmering water.
4. Whisk until the mixture feels hot to your finger and all the sugar has dissolved, on a thermometer you are looking for 72C.
5. Dry the base of the bowl and pop on the mixer with the whisk attachment. Whisk just below high for 5-6 minutes or until you have a thick glossy meringue.
6. Cover each muffin/ ice cream mound with the meringue, creating little peaks around your dome.
7. Either under a hot grill, or using a chef’s blowtorch, torch the meringue until golden. Serve straight away like the domestic god/ goddess you are.