An Easter Gathering wouldn’t be complete without a stash of sweet nibbles to enjoy as the kids run amok, high on sugar.
These keep fuelled to manage hyper kids, overindulged, moaning adults, and the stray granny that needs something to stash in her handbag…
Not too sweet and delicately spiced, they have everything you need to survive the Easter Break
Base & Topping
180g Plain Flour
70g Caster Sugar
30g Light Muscovado Sugar
½ tsp Baking Powder
Small Pinch Salt
130g Goats Butter, fridge cold and diced
1 tsp pink peppercorns, crushed, plus extra to serve
1 Egg Yolk, fridge cold
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
150 Frozen Cherries, defrosted
50g Caster Sugar
1 tbsp Cornflour
1 tsp Lime Juice
1 tbsp Demerara Sugar to sprinkle
1. Preheat oven 200C. Line an 8x8” Brownie tin with baking paper.
2. Add the flour, sugars, baking powder, salt & pink peppercorns in a bowl and briefly whisk until homogenous.
3. Add the egg and butter and rub in to form a crumbly dough with your fingers, as if you were making a crumble topping.
4. Press ¾ of this mixture into your tin to form the base.
5. Mix the filling ingredients together and spoon over the base. Crumble over the remaining dough and sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
6. Bake on the middle shelf for 30-32 minutes, or until golden. Remove and allow to cool to room temperature before refrigerating for 2 hours (this makes it easier to cut)
7. Remove from the tin, cut into squares, and steal 5 minutes to yourself to enjoy with a cup of tea.