Sometimes, even in the bright days of Spring, you just need to wrap yourself in a little blanket of comfort. With the onset of balmier days, the evenings still retain that chill that leaves you craving a warm glow inside. This does just that. Fresh with spring vegetables but still unctuous with a creamy sauce, like velvet to the soul, make a double batch and freeze it for those long days when you just need to curl up with your toes nuzzling into a fuzzy rug.
25g Plain Flour
8 Skinless, boneless Chicken Thighs, cut into pieces
12 Spring Onions, finely sliced
1 Clove Garlic, minced
½ tsp thyme leaves, finely chopped
300ml Chicken Stock
300ml Full Fat Greek Yogurt
200g Frozen Peas, defrosted
250g Mixed Green Beans & Sugar Peas
1 tbsp Chopped Parsley
1 lemon, zest
Salt & Black Pepper to season
1. Heat a large sauté pan and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the spring onions and a pinch of salt, reduce the heat and cover with a lid. Cook slowly for 20-30 minutes until soft, sweet and caramelised. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Mix the flour with some salt and pepper and use to coat the chicken pieces. Brown the chicken in batches, adding more oil as necessary. Remove and transfer to a bowl.
3. Add the white wine, stirring to deglaze the pan and bubble until most of the mixture has gone. Add the thyme, chicken stock and yogurt and simmer on a reduced heat.
4. Add the Spring Onions and chicken back to the pan and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes, add the peas, sugar peas, beans and asparagus and cook 10 minutes more or until the chicken is cooked through. Add the parsley and lemon zest and taste the mixture, season to your taste with salt & black pepper.
5. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving with potatoes, rice or pasta and green veg. This is not a time to scrimp on carbs…
Also, top with pastry for a luscious pie......