Chocolate Espresso Honeycomb Popcorn
50g Popcorn Kernels
1 tsp Rapeseed Oil
115g Caster Sugar
50g Light Muscovado Sugar
20g Golden Syrup
1 tbsp Water
50g Unsalted Butter
40g Dark Chocolate
1 tsp Espresso Powder
1 tsp Bicarbonate soda
½ tsp Salt
1. Line a Baking Tray with non-stick paper (or a silpat) and set aside.
2. Add the popcorn and oil to a medium sized lidded pan and pop over a medium heat, shaking the pan every so often. Keep the lid on until you can’t hear any more popping.
3. Turn onto the tray to cool and discard any unpopped kernels. Once cool transfer to a large bowl.
4. In a small saucepan, add the sugars, syrup and water. Have the butter ready in a separate bowl and the chocolate, espresso, bicarbonate and salt in another.
5. Heat the sugars over a medium heat, swirling not stirring until homogenous. Increase the heat and bubble to about 115C. Add the butter, swirl to combine then continue to heat to 145C (the mix will be the colour of a rusty penny).
6. Quickly add the chocolate, bicarb, espresso and salt and whisk in. pour this over the popcorn and quickly mix using a heatproof spatula until all coated.
7. Tip onto the lined tray and allow to cool before breaking into separate pieces. You will be left with some ‘chocolate rubble) which is so delicious on its own... enjoy!