Isn’t it strange how just the mention of some foods just makes us think of certain people? For me, Chicken Wings are my Mum, Pies are my Dad, my Brother is Beef Stew, and my Sister is Coffee & Walnut Cake. The nephews change by the minute, but Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream will always be a keeper.
So, with an SOS visit from my sister, there was no better time to whip up this variation on a favourite. Pecans and Chocolate always make me think of Turtle Tracks so they’re a must here and the addition of coffee gives that subtle soothing caffeine infusion that stressed veins are crying out for.
Make it for someone you love, or make it for yourself, if you don’t love yourself then how can you give love to others?
170g Unsalted Butter, soft
115g Caster Sugar
110g Light Brown Muscovado Sugar
3 Large Eggs, room temperature
1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
340g Spelt Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Bicarbonate Soda
1 tsp Salt
200g Full Fat Yogurt
40g Milk, warmed
2 tbsp Instant Coffee (good quality)
100g Pecans, toasted, roughly chopped
115g Light Brown Sugar
65g Dark Chocolate, chunks
1 tbsp Cinnamon, ground
1. Preheat oven 170C. Grease and flour a tube pan and set aside in the fridge to chill.
2. Mix the instant coffee into the warmed milk to dissolve and set aside to cool.
3. Add the butter and both sugars to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat for 4-5 minutes just under high or until pale, light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the vanilla.
5. Meanwhile, mix the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and salt in a bowl with a whisk until fully homogenous. In a separate bowl, mix the yogurt with the coffee and milk until smooth.
6. Alternate adding the flour and the yogurt mixture until only just combined then fold in the pecans.
7. Mix the swirl ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
8. Add half the cake batter to the base of the tube pan and sprinkle over the swirl mixture. Top with the remaining batter and bake on the middle shelf for 45-55 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
9. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out to cool completely.
10. Glaze with a simple milk icing and serve.