What’s better than breakfast? Two Breakfasts! Yep, if you can’t decide between Toast or Cereal, Sweet or Savoury…smoosh them all together and eat them all.
Earthy, wholesome and a little tangy sweetness, these are quite happy dressed in a jam jacket as they are slathered in butter and cheese. Plus, they freeze so well, make a batch and gently warm them through as you need them
Fantastic to have on hand when you realise you have hungover bodies surfacing on your sofa on this cosy Holiday mornings.
90g Granola, large pieces broken down with your fingers
50g Dried Cranberries
400g Strong White Bread Flour
50g Light Rye Flour
1 ½ tsp Dried Yeast
325ml Whole Milk
Kibbled Rye or seeds to top
1. In a large bowl, mix the granola, cranberries, flours, and salt well with a whisk. You want to make sure the salt is evenly distributed through the mixture, so it doesn’t retard the yeast.
2. In a small pan, add the milk and the honey. Bring to body temperetaure (37C on a thermometer) to test, when you add your finger, it should feel neither hot nor cold.
3. Add the yeast and stand for 5 minutes until foamy. Add to the flour mixture and mix well with a wooden spoon to fully hydrate the flour.
4. Turn onto a worksurface and knead well with your hands for 8-10 minutes. Resist the urge to add more flour, as the gluten develops it will become less sticky.
5. When the dough is smooth and elastic (bearing in mind you have lumps of granola in it) Lightly oil a bowl and pop the dough in to prove. This will take upwards of 45 minutes to double in size.
6. Once doubled, knock back using your fist and weigh the dough. Divide into 10 pieces and roll each into a taught ball.
7. Prepare two baking sheets with non-stick paper and lay the rolls gently on top. Cover loosely with plastic film and prove for a further 30 minutes. meanwhile preheat oven 200C
8. Brush the tops with a little water and sprinkle with the kibbled rye. Using a razor blad slash the tops of the rolls. Pop in the oven for 13-16 minutes or until risen and golden.
9. Serve with all the accompaniments you want. Coffee essential.