Spring on a plate. New season produce, tender, young and bursting with flavour, this is food to nourish both body and soul. The pesto is great tossed through pasta or any steamed vegetable. Or try adding more olive oil and lemon juice to make a punchy vinaigrette?
Wild Garlic Pesto:
100g Wild Garlic
2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
25g Pumpkin Seeds
25g Almonds, skinned
Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
1 kg New Potatoes
4 tbsp Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven 160C. Sprinkle the seeds and nuts on a tray and roast for 10-12 minutes or until smelling toasty. Allow to cool. Increase oven to 180C.
2. Add the potatoes to a large pan of salted water and cook 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and allow to steam dry. Pop into the fridge for 1 hour on a wire rack to remove residual moisture.
3. Drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil into a roasting tin and tumble in the potatoes. Squash to crush with a fork then drizzle over the rest of the oil. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until super crisp and golden.
4. While the potatoes are cooking, wash and dry the wild garlic. Add to a food processor and blitz to break down. Add the nutritional yeast and the toasted nuts and seeds and blitz again. Add enough olive oil to emulsify and a bout 1-2 tbsp lemon juice depending on your taste.
5. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve in spoonful’s over the crushed potatoes whilst piping hot.