They don’t say cool as a cucumber for nothing. This is the epitome of refreshment, icy, sweet, a little sour and full of citrus herbaceous freshness. Perfect as a palate cleanser if you are recreating the Michelin experiment at home or, like me, amazing dumped into a bowl and lovingly scooped, shovel style into your face. What can I say? Its adaptable.
2 Large Cucumbers
10 Lemon Balm Leaves
250g Caster Sugar
4 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Vanilla Bean, seeds scraped
1. Add the water, sugar, vanilla bean plus seeds and lemon balm leaves to a small pan. Bring to a simmer, simmer for 5 minutes then leave to cool, covered with a lid, until cold.
2. Meanwhile, chop the cucumbers into chunks and blend in a blender to a smooth puree. Pass through a muslin and retain the juice, discard the solids.
3. Remove the vanilla bean and lemon balm leaves from the syrup and add the lemon juice. Pour in the cucumber juice and mix well.
4. Transfer to a shallow container and freeze for 40 minutes. Fork up around the edges, breaking up the solids.
5. Continue this freeze/fork method until you have a mound of frozen ‘snow’ about 3 hours.
6. Serve immediately.