Want to impress your guests with minimal effort? Or perhaps want to binge watch Netflix on the sofa with a tray full of foodie joy? This recipe is simple but for the sum of its parts, too delicious for words. Make it, love it, share it (that’s if you are generous, if not just make it and eat it allllll.)
50ml Strong White Bread Flour
3g Dried Active Yeast
200g Strong White Bread Flour
50g Light Rye Flour
¼ tsp Fine Salt
2g Dried Active Yeast
140ml Water, body temperature
50g Dark Chocolate
½ tsp Sea Salt Flakes
Olive Oil to brush
Lemongrass Caramel Dip
2 Lemongrass Stalks
200g Caster Sugar
6 tbsp Unsalted Butter (Use Vegan If Needed)
115g Double Cream (Use Vegan Oat Cream If Needed)
1. Begin with the poolish. Mix all ingredients in a bowl, cover and pop in the fridge overnight.
2. The next day preheat oven 220C, add the yeast and body temperature water to a bowl and mix. Stand for 5 minutes until foamy.
3. Add the poolish and mix until homogenous then add the flours and salt and mix well to form a dough.
4. Knead a little in the bowl then turn onto a floured worksurface. Line a tray with non-stick paper.
5. Scatter your surface with the chocolate pieces and salt flakes. Take small pieces of dough, the size of a walnut and roll into long thin sticks, taking in the chocolate pieces and salt as you roll.
6. Lay the sticks on your prepared tray and brush with a little olive oil.
7. Bake for 10-12minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
8. Meanwhile for the caramel. Bash the lemongrass stalks with the bac of your knife. Peel away the outer layers to reveal the soft inner core. Chop very fine.
9. Add the sugar, water, and lemongrass to be small pan and heat over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
10. Without stirring, increase the heat and bubble, swirling as you go until the syrup turns the colour of a rusty penny.
11. Add the butter and whisk until homogenous.
12. Remove the pan from the heat and add the cream, it will splutter. Whisk in well until smooth.
13. Serve the caramel in a bowl and dip dip dip to our hearts content.