Easy Blueberry Vanilla Pie with a Cinnamon Crust
When I make a pie, I usually opt for a more complex crust that involves laminating for a puffy rise. But sometimes you just need pie, and you need it now…. This is a pie for those times. Simple in it make up but boy does it fill that Pie shaped hole in your life. Enjoy
Cinnamon Pie Crust
100g Caster Sugar
200g Unsalted Butter, diced into 1 cm cubes
370g Plain Flour
¼ tsp Salt
1 tbsp Cinnamon, ground
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Blueberry & Vanilla Filling
500g Frozen Blueberries
150g Caster Sugar
2 tbsp Cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp cold water
1 Vanilla Pod, seeds scraped
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
50g Caster Sugar mixed with 1 tbsp Cornflour to line the base.
1 egg, beaten to glaze
1. For the crust, mix the cinnamon, salt and flour in a bowl.
2. Add the sugar to a food processor and blitz until fine. Add the flour mixture and pulse to combine. Add the cold butter and pulse to form a breadcrumb consistency. Add the egg and vanilla and pulse until it comes together to a shaggy dough.
3. Turn out and knead for a few seconds until smooth. Shape into a disc and pop into the fridge for an hour while you make the filling.
4. For the filling, add the blueberries, sugar and 1 tbsp water to a pan. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until defrosted and starting to reduce. Add the vanilla, lemon juice and cornflour mixture and bubble for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Set aside in a bowl, cover the surface with plastic film and allow to cool before popping in the fridge to chill.
5. Divide your pastry disc into two. Roll one half out to the thickness of a pound coin and use o line a 20cm pie tin.
6. Roll out the other half and cut 6 strips 2cm thick for the lattice.
7. When the filling is cold, sprinkle the base of the pastry with the cornflour mixture. Spoon the filling on top then use the strips to form the lattice decoration.
8. Chill in the fridge for 30-60 minutes while you preheat the oven 180C.
9. Egg wash the pie, pop it in the fridge for 10 minutes then apply a second coat of egg wash.
10. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Stand for 10 minutes before serving with lashings of cream or ice cream.