Easy Turkish Menemen with Za'atar Butter Flatbreads
TURKISH MENEMEN WITH ZA’ATAR BUTTER FLATBREADS
2 Punnets Tomatoes, chopped or 1 can
2 Onions, sliced
2 Peppers/ Handful Mushrooms/ Any quick cook veg you have, finely sliced
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 tsp Garlic, minced (from a jar is fine)
1 tsp Oregano, dried (substitute any dried herb that you have/like)
1 tsp Peppermint, dried (substitute any dried herb that you have/like)
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp Ground Coriander
Grind Black Pepper
1 tbsp Tomato puree
2 tsp Sugar
1 tbsp Vinegar (ideally balsamic but any will do)
6 eggs, beaten
350g Strong Bread Flour
250g Yogurt (or a mix of cream cheese/ milk/ lemon)
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
1 tbsp Za’atar
2 tbsp Butter, melted
1. Make the flatbreads by sifting the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a bowl. Make a well in the centre, add the yogurt and bring together to form a scraggy dough.
2. Knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
3. Divide into 8 balls, about 75g each and roll each ball into a flat disc around ¼ cm thick.
4. Heat a frying pan over a high heat and griddle for 1 minute each side.
5. Mix the butter with the za’atar and brush over each bread when cooked. Stack between sheets of baking paper and wrap in foil while you cook the dish.
6. Heat the oil over a medium heat in a pan and sweat the onions with the salt for 10 minutes until sweet but not coloured.
7. Add the garlic and dried herbs and spices and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Add the puree and cook out for 30 seconds before adding the veg and tomatoes.
8. Cover with a lid and cook for 5-10 minutes until the tomatoes soften and release their juice.
9. Mash with the back of a spoon and add the sugar and vinegar, along with the olives. Taste and add more salt/vinegar if needed.
10. Reduce the heat, add the egg and swirl through. Allow to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
11. Just before the eggs are cooked, remove from the heat and divide into 4 bowls (the eggs will finish cooking in the residual heat)
12. Serve along with the flatbreads.