GLUTEN FREE PINK GRAPEFRUIT & THYME LOAF CAKE
170g Unsalted Butter
1 tbsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
300g Caster Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Pink Grapefruit, zest, 2tbsp Juice
3 Eggs, room temperature
2 Egg Yolks, room temperature
240g Plain Gluten Free Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Bicarbonate Soda
½ tsp Salt
180g Full Fat Greek Yogurt
Citrus Curd to glaze (optional)
1. Begin with the infused butter. Add the butter and thyme to a pan and melt. Bubble for 1-2 minutes then allow to infuse off the heat for 10 minutes. Strain into a container and allow to solidify to room temperature. If the butter firms up too much to strain, just reheat it.
2. Meanwhile, grease, line, regrease and flour a 23 x 14cm loaf pan (or thereabouts). Set aside in the fridge. Preheat oven 165C.
3. Add the room temperature butter, caster sugar and vanilla to a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat for 5 minutes or until pale, fluffy and the sugar has dissolved.
4. Add the eggs and yolks, a little at a time, beating well between each addition.
5. In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate soda together. In a separate bowl, mix the yogurt with the grapefruit juice and zest.
6. Add half of the flour to the butter egg mixture, and slowly mix in. add half the yogurt mixture and mix in. repeat with the remaining flour and yogurt mixtures, taking care not to overmix.
7. Spoon into your prepared tin and gently tap to remove air pockets.
8. Bake for 70-80 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before inverting om a wire rack to cool completely.
9. Glaze with a little warmed citrus curd if wanted.