Grapefruit & Vodka Seabass Ceviche
GRAPEFRUIT & VODKA SEABASS CEVICHE
2 Fillets Sea Bass, skinned
2 tbsp Pomegranate Seeds
1 Red Grapefruit
1 tbsp Vodka
1 tbsp White Soy
1 knob ginger, grated
1 tsp Lime Juice
2 tbsp Japanese Mayonnaise
½ tsp Chilli Flakes
Coriander & Mint Leaves to garnish
1. Pop the fish in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to firm up.
2. Meanwhile pare a slice of zest from the grapefruit using a peeler. Using a sharp knife, very finely slice into strips and set aside.
3. Put the grated ginger into a piece of muslin and squeeze out the juice. Reserve 2 tsp. mix this with the vodka, white soy, lime juice and chilli flakes.
4. Peel the skin and pith from the grapefruit and remove the segments from their membranes using a sharp knife. Squeeze the remaining membranes to extract all the juice. Mix 3 tbsp grapefruit juice into vodka leche de tigre. Taste, it should be sharp with a touch of salty zing.
5. Finely slice the fish as thin as you can and layer onto a plate. Drizzle with the dressing and sit for 5 minutes for the acid to ‘cook’ the fish proteins. Do not do this any early or the fish will toughen.
6. Arrange the grapefruit segments, pomegranate seeds and mayonnaise around the fish and garnish with coriander and mint leaves. Serve immediately.
Photo Credit: Richard Budd