Taking time out. Do you know when to stop? How do you know when you’ve reached your productivity peak and no matter how much you slog away, you will never achieve your potential?
It’s true, we all have a peak and when we reach it, it’s time to walk away. Scientific evidence shows that time out really is as important as ‘time in’
Allowing yourself to focus on something entirely new gives the most powerful area of the brain...the subconscious time to focus on things we have no idea that it is working away on.
Have you ever tried to remember the name of a song and thought and thought but it never comes? So, you give up and low and behold, sometime later, when you are least expecting it, it pops into your brain like a weird phenomenon. That’s because your subconscious has been quietly working away on it, free from the constraints of your constant push.
This recipe was devised in one of those moments. A moment where I was just needing something to eat, it wasn’t premeditated, just a collection of delicious things brought together in a wonderful harmony.
Make it and it is evidence that the best things sometimes do happen when we least expect them to. Inspired by Mark Diacono
4 Whole Mackerel, cleaned, gutted and scaled
A few Shiso Sprigs
2 Limes, finely sliced
Olive Oil for Drizzling
Salt & pepper
1 Cucumber, cut into ribbons
100g Rocket/ Watercress Leaves
10-15 Shiso Leaves, chiffonade
2 Tart apples, thinly sliced
Fresh Peas, blanched for 1 minute and refreshed in cold water
50g Toasted Almonds, crushed
Salt & pepper
4 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
3 tbsp Kombucha/ Cider Vinegar
3 tsp Toasted Sesame Seeds
Steamed Rice, New Potatoes or Bread to serve
1. Begin with the mackerel. Season the cavity of each fish and fill with the shiso and lime slices. Rub the skin with oil, salt and pepper. Preheat the grill to medium high and grill for 4-6 minutes on each side depending on the size of your fish.
2. Once crisp, charred and cooked through remove and set aside.
3. Add all the ingredients for the dressing to a jar and shake to combine.
4. Add a little dressing to the rocket/watercress, mix through and arrange on a platter. Top with the cucumber, shiso, apples and peas and drizzle over a little more dressing.
5. Sprinkle over the almons and chive flowers, followed by the sesame seeds. Season with salt & pepper and serve alongside the fish and some rice or new potatoes if liked.