NEVER LET YOUR MEMORIES BE GREATER THAN YOUR DREAMS: Its true, I am a nostalgic person. But nostalgia will never replace my desire to seek out, learn and fulfil my dreams. So, whenever I travel, I am inspired by the cuisine and the culture. But rather than replicate what I come to love; I redesign with my own twist.
Like this Jackfruit Pibil. Cochinita Pibil, such a beautiful Mexican dish. But as someone who doesn’t eat meat, I always find myself longing for the flavour and the texture. So, I developed this pulled jackfruit recipe. An update of a recipe in my previous jackfruit eBook.
Perfect for gatherings with family or friends, this is the ultimate sharing food.
20g Annatto Seeds
1 tsp Coriander Seeds
1 tsp Mexican Dried Oregano (substitute regular dried oregano)
1 tsp Ground Cumin
Pinch Ground Cloves
3 Cloves Garlic, roughly chopped
50ml Orange Juice
20ml Lime Juice
2 Tins Jackfruit, drained
4 tbsp Rapeseed oil
100ml Orange Juice
20ml Lime Juice
30ml Maple Syrup
Salt & Pepper to taste
Rice, Avocado, Pink Pickled Onions & Coriander to serve
1. Begin with the Achiote Paste. Grind the Annatto Seeds & Coriander seeds in a spice grinder. Add the ground spices, with the garlic to a pestle & mortar and pound until you form a thick sludge.
2. Add the juices and a pinch of salt and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Pull the jackfruit into shreds. Mix through the paste and set aside for 20 minutes.
4. Heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the jackfruit, plus the orange juice and cook for 8-10 minutes or until smelling fragrant and delicious.
5. Add the lime juice & Maple syrup and taste. Season with salt & pepper to your liking.
6. Serve in bowls with rice and all the garnishes.