The lovechild of a cocktail and a pie never was there a more beautiful relationship. This one slides down a little too easily. Perfect for a long holiday Weekend.
Ingredients (for 1 Cocktail)
15ml Apple Schnapps
15ml White Rum
20ml Lime Juice
10ml Elderflower Cordial
30ml Fresh Apple Juice
1 Lime, cut in half
1 Oat Biscuit, crushed
Meringue (enough for 4 glasses)
200g Caster Sugar
4 Egg Whites, room temperature
½ tsp Cream of Tartar
1. For the meringue, add the sugar and water to a small pan and swirl to combine. Take care not to let any grains of sugar coat the sides of the pan or else your syrup will crystallise.
2. Heat gently to dissolve, then bring to the boil. Boil until the bubbles turn sticky and slow down, it should read between 118-121C.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy, slowly add the sugar syrup in a stream down the side of the bowl whilst beating, taking care to avoid the beaters.
4. Continue beating for 10-12 minutes, or until the mixture feels cool and you have a smooth, glossy meringue. Set aside in a piping bag.
5. For the cocktail, rub the lime around the edge of a martini glass and drip into the crushed biscuit.
6. Add the Schnapps, rum, lime juice, cordial, and apple juice to a Boston shaker with a few ice cubes. Shake 30 seconds to chill.
7. Strain through a hawthorn strainer into the glass then pipe over the meringue. Burnish with a blowtorch and serve. Meringue moustaches essential.