Malted Macadamia, Salted Honey & White Chocolate Bar
MALTED MACADAMIA, SALTED HONEY & WHITE CHOCOLATE BAR
Sweet Shortcrust Pastry for Lining Tin
1 egg yolk, mixed with 1-2tsp boiling water
50g Peanut Butter
70g Golden Syrup
100g White Chocolate
70g Light Brown Sugar
½ tsp Sea Salt Flakes
2 tbsp Plain Flour
2 tbsp Horlicks Powder
100g Macadamias, roasted and finely chopped (any nuts will do)
1. If making your own pastry make a batch using 250g flour and set aside to rest. Line a tart tin (either round or I used a rectangular tin 30 cm x 12 cm) with pastry, leaving an overhang and chill for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven 180C, pop in a baking tray and line your tart with baking paper (crumpled up and reopened to get into all the corners) Fill to the top with baking beans.
3. Bake on the preheated tray for 20minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake 5 minutes more or until the base looks golden. Brush the tart with the prepared egg wash and return to the oven for 10-15minutes, or until it looks rich and golden. Set aside to cool while you make the filing.
4. Reduce the oven to 150C. In a bowl, over a pan of simmering water, mix the butter, peanut butter, syrup, honey, white chocolate and sugar. Stir until melted and combined.
5. Mix in the flour, salt, Horlicks and then the eggs, making sure there are no streaks of egg remaining. Finally mix in the nuts.
6. Using a vegetable peeler, scrape away the overhang on your pastry to leave a neat edge. Fill with the filling (any extra can be baked in muffin cups!) and pop on the middle shelf of the oven for 20-25 minutes. The centre will have a gentle wobble which will firm up on cooling. Cool completely in the tin before serving.
7. I did a pastry decoration on the top, this is entirely optional, you could even get creative with whole nuts etc. Just add with the filling prior to baking.