We all know I love a good cocktail. As someone who prefers savoury over sweet, these buns bridge the gap. Zesty, Punchy with the right kick of salt to offset the sweetness, they’re what the Easter Bunny wishes it had….
100g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
300g Whole Milk mixed with 30ml Tequila
1 Egg, room temperature
550g Plain Flour
100g Light Rye Flour
1 Lime, zest (save the juice for later)
14g Fast Action Yeast
90g Light Muscovado Sugar
1 tsp Fine Salt
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
50g Candied Lime Peel
3 tbsp Whole Milk
2 ½ tsp Plain Flour
80g Agave Syrup
5ml Lime Juice
Salted Lime Butter:
200g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
50g Icing Sugar
1 Lime, zest
1 tsp Sea Salt Flakes, plus extra to sprinkle
1. Add the butter, milk and tequila to a small pan and gently heat to melt the butter. Allow to cool to body temperature (when you put your finger in it should neither feel hot nor cold). Whisk in the egg.
2. In the base of a stand mixer, whisk both flours, the sugar, yeast, lime zest and salt until homogenous. With a wooden spoon, mix in the milk mixture until no dry patches remain.
3. Using a dough hook, knead for 10 minutes or until you have a smooth, supple dough.
4. Lightly oil a large bowl, shape the dough into a round, cover and allow to prove until doubled in size, how long this takes depends on the ambient temperature.
5. Once doubled, preheat oven 160C. Knock back the dough with your hands and weigh. Divide the weight by 12 and roll each into a tight ball.
6. Line a rectangular baking tray with non-stick paper and arrange the balls in 4 rows of 3, leaving a gap between them
7. Cover once more and allow to prove until risen by ¾.
8. Meanwhile, mix the ingredients for the cross in a small bowl and either spoon over or pipe crosses onto the buns.
9. Bake for 22-28 minutes or until risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
10. Add the glaze ingredients to a small pan and gently warm to loosen and combine.
11. Brush the buns with the glaze then sprinkle with the salt flakes.
12. Mash all the butter ingredients together with a fork and serve straight away