MISO TAMARIND CHILLI WHOLE ROAST SWEDE, GARLIC ROAST VEG, VEGAN SAMBAL BELACAN
WE CANNOT BECOME WHAT WE WANT, BY REMAINING WHAT WE ARE. Embrace change, visit new tastes, ideas, and concepts, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. This might seem bizarre, but one taste will convert even the most vehement vegphobe!
1 Large Swede
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Tamarind Paste
1 tbsp Maple Syrup
1 tbsp White Miso (or use 1 tbsp Yondu Umami)
1 tbsp Chilli Oil (crispy is best)
Potatoes & Red Onions, cut into chunks
3 tbsp Olive Oil
6 Garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 Can Butterbeans
Large Handful Kale
Lime & Sea Salt Flakes to season
Sambal Belacan (either store bought or made vegan by substituting shrimp paste for miso, tomato puree & kombu water)
1. Preheat oven 180C.
2. Peel the swede and score diagonally 1cm deep into the flesh. Stud sporadically with cloves. Rub with 2 tbsp Olive oil and bundle up into foil and seal.
3. Depending on the size of your swede, roast for 1-2 hours, or until completely tender. For the last 40 minutes, mix the potatoes with the onions/ garlic and 3 tbsp olive oil and roast alongside the swede.
4. Meanwhile whisk the tamarind, maple, miso, and chilli oil until smooth. Reduce the oven to 130C and pour over the glaze.
5. Add the kale & butterbeans to the potatoes & onions.
6. Leave the swede uncovered and roast for 15 minutes. Baste and roast for another 15 minutes, or until sticky and smelling wonderful.
7. Remove everything from the oven, season the veg with sea salt and serve with the sambal on the side and lime wedges for squeezing.