To Nidificate: To Make a cosy nest for the foreseeable future. I can guess you can say that these are the only hibernation food you will need. All the adornments of a classic stollen, whipped up into dense, fudgy chocolate squares….
250g 70% Dark Chocolate, chopped into pieces
150g Unsalted Butter
2 tbsp Cocoa
1tsp Almond extract
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
80g Caster Sugar
140g Dark Muscovado Sugar
2 Large Eggs, room temperature
85g Plain Flour
½ tsp Flaky salt
50g Glace Cherries, roughly chopped
50g Almonds, roughly chopped
20g Glace Peel, roughly chopped
40g Marzipan, chopped into small cubes
1. Grease and line a 9” x 9” Brownie tin with butter and non-stick paper and pop in the fridge to chill. Preheat oven 160C Fan.
2. Add the chocolate, butter, and cocoa to a heatproof bowl, cover and microwave in three 30 second bursts to melt. Stir to combine then set aside. This can also be done over a double boiler on the hob.
3. Meanwhile, add both sugars to another bowl and whisk to combine. Whisk in the eggs until just smooth then add the vanilla and almond extracts.
4. Add the molten chocolate mixture, followed by the rum, and mix until just homogenous. Fold in the flour and salt, followed by the fruits and nuts.
5. Pour into your chilled tin and bake for 30-35 minutes or until just beginning to crack on top. Allow to cool to room temperature then pop into the fridge for at least 2 hours to firm up before cutting into squares.
6. Pack a few squares into a box and nidificate……