There is something definitively alluring about the sweet citrus note of Orange when bounced against the smoky heat of Urfa chilli. This is a treat of two halves, on side you have a bar that’s crispy, creamy and bright, one of those moreish bites that you keep nibbling a corner from, until there are suddenly no corners left and you have a solitary puck on a plate.
On the other hand, its feisty, the errant child in the school playground that thrives on breaking all the rules, sweet yet spiced, smoky and all things a dessert should not be…. but here, it really should.
140g Unsalted Butter, softened
150g Plain Flour
1 tbsp Urfa Chilli Flakes
1 Orange, zest
¼ tsp Salt
80g Icing Sugar
280g Golden Caster Sugar
50g Plain Flour
4 Golden Yolk Eggs (use regular eggs if you don’t have these)
100ml Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
60ml Lemon Juice
Icing Sugar to serve
1. Begin with the base. Preheat oven 180C and line a 20cm square brownie tin with non-stick paper. Set aside.
2. Mix the flour with the chilli, zest, salt and icing sugar until homogenous. Add the butter, in pieces and rub in with your fingers, taking care to leave some lumps of butter. Press into the tin and smooth off with the base of a glass.
3. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until light fawn in colour. Remove from the oven and drop the heat to 150C. you need to leave enough time for the oven to lose some residual heat before continuing.
4. For the filling, mix the sugar, flour and eggs together until smooth. Add the orange and lemon juice and again whisk until smooth.
5. Pour over the base and carefully transfer to the middle shelf of the oven. Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until only just set. Remove and cool in the tin completely on a wire rack.
6. Once cool, dust with icing sugar and cut into bars.