I first tried Pandan about 15 years ago. The intoxicating scent had me even before I tasted it. I always describe it as a ‘Heady Vanilla’ but it so much more than that. The older, wiser Aunt of Vanilla, deep and rich with notes of bread and baking. The comfort and grandeur of vanilla is still present, just wrapped up in a rich, luxurious blanket.
1 Pandan Leaf, tied in a knot
2-3 drops Pandan Extract
For One Drink:
10ml Lime Juice
10ml Pandan Syrup
Ginger Beer & Ice to top up
1. For the syrup, add the water and sugar to a small pan. Dissolve over a medium heat and bring to a boil.
2. Add the pandan leaf and boil for 3-5 minutes then remove from the heat. Add the extract, cover with a lid, and allow to cool and infuse for at least 4 hours. Pop in the fridge to chill.
3. When ready, remove the pandan leaf and add the cachaca and lime to a shaker and shake to combine.
4. Pour over ice in a glass, then top up with ginger beer, allowing a little room at the top.
5. Pour over the syrup, stir, and enjoy!