ALL WE HAVE IS NOW. Think about it, the only thing that is certain is the present. The Past has passed, the future is a fabrication. So, live your best life, enjoy every second and EAT THAT TART.
120g Plain Flour
1 tsp Chilli Powder
40g Caster Sugar
105g Unsalted Butter, fridge cold
290ml Whipping Cream
70ml Passionfruit Juice (seeds strained)
20ml Lime Juice
1 Lime, zest
50g Caster Sugar
4 Egg Yolks, room temperature
30g Demerara Sugar
Sliced Mango & Passionfruit to serve
1. Begin with the pastry. Mix the flour, chilli, sugar, and salt in a bowl until homogenous. Melt the butter in a small pan and add to the dry ingredients. Bring together to form a dough and press into a 8” round Tart tin or equivalent.
2. Chill for 2 hours to allow the gluten to rest. Preheat oven 180C. trim the dough to make the edges flush then line with non-stick paper and baking beans. Bake for 15 minutes, remove the paper and beans, and bake 5-8 minutes more, or until dried out and golden. Allow to cool.
3. For the filling, reduce the oven 130C. Add the cream, lime zest and 25g Sugar to a small pan and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, add the passionfruit, and lime juice and cover. Stand 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile whisk the yolks with the remaining sugar (do not do this too early) and add a small amount of the warm cream to temper them. Add the entire mixture back to the pan with the cream and mix, trying not to incorporate too much air.
5. Strain into s jug and place your baked tart case into the oven. Carefully pour the filling into the tart and bake for 40-50 minutes or until just set with a slight wobble.
6. Cook to room temperature then pop in the fridge for 4 hours.
7. Sprinkle with the demerara sugar and brulee using a chef’s blowtorch. Garnish with mango & passionfruit and serve.