Peach & Basil Glazed Chicken Burgers, Pea Hummus, Beetroot Buns
These just scream of Summer BBQs! The colours, the flavours, these are like little parties on plates. The idea for these came basically from my desire to put everything associated with fun in the sun….in a bun… The chicken can be grilled on a BBQ or under a conventional grill if the unreliable weather is…well, unreliable.
Make the buns and hummus in advance and cook the chicken when you are ready, simple.
Happy Summer Everyone
240g Strong Bread Flour
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Sugar
130ml Whole Milk
7g Dried Yeast
35g Butter, unsalted, room temperature
15g Beetroot Powder (or use activated charcoal for charcoal buns)
1 Egg Yolk Mixed with 2 tsp Milk
1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
120g Frozen Peas, defrosted
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
2 tbsp Tahini
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
2 tbsp Olive Oil
Salt & Cracked Black Pepper to season
Peach & Basil Glazed Chicken
1kg Chicken Thighs, skinless & boneless
300g Fresh Peaches, ripe, if not use tinned
1 tbsp Honey
1 tbsp soy
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Cider Vinegar
1. Begin with the buns. Add the flour, salt and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and mix to combine. Warm the milk to body temperature and add the yeast. Whisk in the egg.
2. Add the yeast and egg mixture to the flour and mix, using a dough hook, on medium speed for 2-3 minutes (this can also be kneaded by hand for 5 minutes).
3. Meanwhile, mix the butter with the beetroot powder. Add the butter beetroot mixture piece by piece to the dough whilst mixing on medium speed. Continue to knead on medium high for 8-10 minutes or until it is smooth, silky and comes away from the bowl cleanly. If doing this by hand, the butter will need to be ‘slapped’ into the dough piece by piece before kneading for 10-15 minutes.
4. Place the dough in an oiled bowl covered with cling film and leave to prove for 60-90 minutes, or until doubled in size.
5. Once proved, knock back the dough and divide into 12 equal portions. Shape into a money bag shape, turn over and roll into balls.
6. Divide between two lined trays, cover once again with oiled cling film and leave to prove again for 40-60 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, preheat the oven 190C. once the buns have risen, mix the egg yolk with the milk and gently brush over the tops, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake for 10 minutes or until they sound hollow when the bases are tapped. Leave to cool completely.
8. For the chicken, add all the ingredients aside from the chicken and blend until smooth. Add to a large bowl with the chicken, cover and pop into the fridge for 2-4 hours.
9. Meanwhile make the hummus, add all ingredients to a blender, whizz to a coarse paste, taste, adjust the seasoning and set aside.
10. Heat a BBQ or grill to a medium high setting. Grill the chicken until charred and a thermometer reads 73C when inserted into the thickest part. Allow to rest for 10 minutes then stuff into the buns with the hummus and serve.