A little something you didn’t know about me. I live with an Evil Twin. She is with me 24/7, in the kitchen, taking photos, editing……. Rather than help, she is a hindrance, you see I am not a competitive person, school sports days were more an opportunity to eat countless ice creams than to beat my rivals. But my evil twin, now she is competitive WITH ME.
She constantly tells me I am lagging, not good enough and a total imposter. In her eyes I am useless at everything I do.
But more and more I am learning to surround myself with people like all of you out there. People who support and cajole me. You make me strive to do my best and accept that my best is good enough. So, my evil twin is getting the hump, side-lined to the corner, where I am hoping to keep her for a while.
My thank you for all your support comes by way of recipes. Little adages of my gratitude. While I may not be able to cook for you per se, I hope that by perhaps trying out some of my recipes you will get an idea of just how grateful I am.
If you have an evil twin, why not set them aside in a corner with mine, I’m sure they can irritate each other no end….
300g Baby New Potatoes, thinly sliced
3 tbsp Light Olive Oil
200g Frozen Peas, defrosted
300g Red Cabbage, finely sliced
200g Mange Tout, finely sliced
4 Baby Cucumbers, thinly sliced
200g Sugar Peas
1 Avocado, roughly chopped
1 tbsp White Miso
2 tbsp Lime Juice
10g Chopped Coriander
1. Preheat oven 160C. Roast the hazelnuts for 15-18 minutes or until light golden brown, allow to cool then gently crush with a rolling pin, set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Cook the potatoes un batches until crisp and cooked through. This will take 15-20 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
3. Bring a pan of water to the boil and blanch the sugar peas for 1 minute, so they are still crisp. Dunk into a bowl of iced water, drain and set aside.
4. For the dressing, whizz the mayonnaise, buttermilk, avocado, miso, lime and coriander in a blender until smooth. Taste, adjust the seasoning and set aside.
5. When ready, add the peas, cabbage, mange tout and sugar peas to a bowl and toss with a little dressing. Pile onto the potatoes and top with the cucumber and hazelnuts.
6. Serve with extra dressing on the side.