Pumpkin, Pear & Cannellini Stew with Amaretti, Pecan & Maple.
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, finely sliced
2 Leeks, finely sliced
1 Pumpkin or Butternut Squash, cut into 2 cm dice
1 Pear, cut into 2 cm dice
2 Cloves Garlic, finely sliced
Pinch salt, plus extra to season
1 tbsp Cinnamon, ground
50 ml Brandy
200ml Vegetable Stock
Chopped Tomatoes, 400g Tin
3 tbsp Maple Syrup
1 tbsp Maple Vinegar (or Balsamic Vinegar)
Pepper to Season
50g Amaretti Biscuits, lightly crushed
50g Toasted Pecans, lightly crushed
Bread Rolls, hollowed out and gently toasted in oven to serve.
1. Heat the oil in a large pot and add the onion and leeks with a pinch of salt. Turn the heat to medium low, cover with a lid and sweat for 10-15 minutes until soft, sweet and translucent.
2. Add the pumpkin, pear & garlic and increase the heat. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until starting to crisp and add in the cinnamon. Stir for 30 seconds before adding the brandy.
3. Allow some of the alcohol to burn off and reduce before adding the stock and chopped tomatoes. Reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 15- 20 minutes, or until everything is tender and yielding.
4. Add the beans, maple syrup and maple vinegar. Heat through and taste. Add enough black pepper to season and adjust the salt and acidity accordingly.
5. Spoon into your bread bowls and top with the Amaretti and Pecans and dive in… eat the stew laden bread once you’ve finished… comfort food at its best!