PHILOCALY 19th Century: The love of beauty and the ability to cherish the small things in life
Want to show someone you care, tell their stomach…
I have made this free from Raw Egg, so children can enjoy, just replace the alcohol with cherry juice.
50g Caster Sugar
1 Strip Orange Peel
560ml Whipping Cream
2 tbsp Icing Sugar
150g Cherry Compote
25ml Crème De Cacao
200g Savoiardi Biscuits
50g White Chocolate, shaved
Fresh Fruits to serve
1. Begin the day before with the Rhubarb so it has time to cool. Preheat oven 180C and slice the rhubarb into 3cm pieces.
2. Lay the rhubarb & orange peel in a small roasting tin and sprinkle over the sugar with 2 tbsp water.
3. Cover tightly with foil and roast for 15 minutes. check, it should be soft but still maintain its shape. Stir and cook 5-10 minutes more if needed.
4. Carefully remove the rhubarb from the syrup and allow both to cool. When cool, add the sambuca and crème de cacao to the syrup. Discard the orange peel.
5. The next day, add the sugar, mascarpone and cream to a large bowl and whip to the consistency of whipped cream.
6. Pour the spiked rhubarb syrup into a shallow dish and dip the sponge fingers in, turning after 2 seconds. Layer the fingers in a dish then cover with a layer of cream, followed by a layer of cherry compote and rhubarb.
7. Continue the layers until all is used up, finishing with a layer of cream.
8. Finally, top with fresh fruits and shaved white chocolate, chill for at least 4 hours and serve.