Vanilla, such a revered fragrance and taste. Delicate yet powerful, with the ability to convert even the most humble of dishes into regal, exquisite feasts. As the ovaries of orchids, the beans hold the very essence of the plant’s existence and knowing that gives it a whole new level of wealth and import.
The flavour caresses the palate, like the brush of a petal on the tongue.
In comparison, artificial vanilla flavouring comes from Castoreum extracted from the anal glands of beavers. I will say no more…
500ml Double Cream
280ml Whole Milk
2 Vanilla Pods, seeds scraped
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
5 Egg Yolks
150g Golden Caster Sugar
1. Add the cream, milk, vanilla pods, seeds and extract to a pan and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat off and allow to cool and infuse for 2 hours or overnight in the fridge.
2. When ready, bring the cream back to a simmer and whisk the yolks with the sugar until pale and fluffy.
3. Pour a ladle of cream over the yolk mixture, whisking all the time to temper. Pour back into the pan with the remaining cream over a very low heat.
4. Continue cooking, stirring continuously in the sides of the pan until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
5. stir in the salt and pour into a bowl or jug. Cover the surface with cling film and pop in the fridge overnight.
6. The next day, remove the vanilla pods and churn in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions. Freeze for an hour before serving.