Small, kind of round and make kids and adults very happy. Yes, Scones and Snowballs have so much in common. So why not smoosh them together in one big ball of happiness?
Inspired by the Classic Snowball Cocktail, these are made with Lemonade and Advocaat and best served with Cherry Jam and Whipped Cream scented with Lime.
If you don’t have Advocaat, just use extra double cream. Oh, and make double, these don’t last…
330g Plain Flour
20g Desiccated Coconut
2 tbsp Baking Powder
50g Caster Sugar
¼ tsp Salt
100ml Double Cream
1 Egg Yolk, Beaten
Lime Whipped Cream & Cherry Jam to serve
1. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, coconut, baking powder, sugar, and salt until homogenous.
2. Make a well in the centre and pour in the lemonade, cream, and advocaat.
3. Mix with a wooden spoon to bring together then turn out onto a lightly floured worksurface.
4. Using a light hand, gently knead to form a dough. It’s so important not to overwork this or your scones will be tough.
5. Shape into a rectangle and place between two sheets of baking paper. Tap out with a rolling pin and gently roll to 2cm thick. Cover and pop in the fridge for 1 hour for the flour to hydrate.
6. Meanwhile preheat oven 220C. Have a baking sheet ready lined with baking paper.
7. Lightly flour a 6cm cookie cutter and stamp out 10 rounds, taking care not to twist the cutter.
8. Lay these, bottom facing up on your prepared sheet and lightly brush the tops with the egg yolk.
9. Bake 12-15 minutes or until risen and golden. Cool a little on a wire rack then serve with cream, jam, and a cocktail in hand……