Olives & Pickles, the ubiquitous nibbles for cocktails. But what if they were taken to another level? What if they were coated in a spiced crispy crumb and dunked into a sweet fiery relish… what if….
These are Air fried to perfection, keeping the oil at a minimum but the crunch at maximum. If you don’t have an air fryer, deep fry these at the same temperature.
200g Mixed Olives and Cornichons
1 Egg, beaten with 1 tsp water
3 tbsp Flour
50g Panko Breadcrumbs
1 tsp Paprika
1 tbsp Rapeseed Oil
Chilli Fig Relish
10 Figs, finely chopped
1 Red Chilli, finely chopped
1 Dried Kashmiri Chilli
2 Shallots, finely chopped
1 Clove Garlic, minced
2 tbsp Olive Oil
50g Light Muscovado Sugar
80ml Balsamic Vinegar
¼ tsp Salt
1. Begin with the chutney. Heat the oil over a medium low heat and sweat the shallots with the salt until sweet and translucent, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the fresh and dried chilli plus the garlic and sweat for a further 5 minutes.
3. Add the figs and sugar and simmer for 5 minutes before adding in the balsamic. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until thick and jammy. Allow to cool and set aside.
4. For the pickles, dry the olives and cornichons and dust in a little flour. Mix the breadcrumbs with the paprika.
5. Dunk each into the egg, letting the excess drip off, before dredging in the crumbs. Repeat with the egg and more crumbs, a double layer makes for a crisper coating.
6. Heat the air fryer to 180C. drizzle with oil and fry for 6 minutes or until golden and crisp.
7. Serve hot with the relish on the side.