Spiced Clementine & Whisky Cake. Gluten & Refined Sugar Free.
150g Butter, softened
3 Large Eggs, separated
100g Quick Cook Fine Polenta
200g Ground Almonds
1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Cinnamon
Pinch Ground Cloves
2 Clementines, sliced
Whisky Honey Glaze:
20g Butter, softened
1. Preheat oven 140C. Grease and line a 20cm springform tin. Set aside.
2. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and set aside.
3. Beat the honey and butter together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks.
4. Mix the polenta, almonds, salt, baking powder and spices together to combine then gently fold them into the wet mixture.
5. Take a small ‘sacrificial spoon’ of the whites and mix this through to loosen the batter, then very gently fold the remaining whites through, taking care not to knock out too much air.
6. Gently spoon the batter into the prepared tin and lay the clementine slices on top in concentric circles.
7. Place on the bottom shelf of the oven and cook 50-55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
8. Just before the cake is ready add the butter and honey for the glaze to a pan and heat gently. Remove from the heat and stir in the whisky.
9. Take the cake out and pierce with a few holes. Spoon the glaze over the cake and leave to cool for 20 minutes.
10. Carefully remove the cake from the tin and cool on a wire rack until cold.