Strawberry, Cherry & Amaretto Spelt Hot Cross Buns
STRAWBERRY, CHERRY & AMARETTO SPELT HOT CROSS BUNS
150g Dried Strawberries & Cherries
3 tbsp Amaretto
1 tbsp Almond Extract
1 Apple, grated
6 tbsp Maple Syrup, plus extra for glazing
420g Strong White Bread Flour
150g Spelt Flour
1 tbsp Instant Dried Yeast
½ tsp Bicarbonate Soda
5 tbsp Plain Flour
5 tbsp Water
1. Put the dried fruit, amaretto & almond extract in a pan and bring to a simmer. Turn off and set aside to steep.
2. Meanwhile put the buttermilk in a bowl and microwave 1 minute. Add the maple and apple and stir.
3. Mix together the flours, yeast, bicarbonate soda and salt in a bowl with a whisk. Add the buttermilk mixture and combine to make a rough dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 8-10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Stretch into a rectangle. Drain the fruit and sprinkle over. Knead 2-3 minutes to combine.
4. Place in an oiled bowl, covered in oiled clingfilm and leave to rise for an hour or until doubled in size.
5. Once risen, weigh the dough into 16 x 75g balls and place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper so they are touching. Cover with oiled clingfilm and leave for another hour, or until doubled in size.
6. Meanwhile mix the ingredients for the crosses together into a jug and spoon into a piping bag. Preheat the oven 200C.
7. When ready, pipe crosses gently onto the buns and bake 25-30 minutes or until rich golden and the base feels hollow when tapped.
8. Remove and glaze with a little more maple syrup whilst hot, then set aside on a wire rack to cool completely.