"I have only to break into the tightness of a strawberry, and I see summer - its dust and lowering skies." ~ Toni Morrison
Strawberry & Elderflower, the taste of Sunkissed flora seems a firring match for the creamiest milk & the sweet crunch of meringue. Simple to make, but the memories will linger indefinitely.
120g Egg White (about 4 Egg Whites)
220g Caster Sugar
1/8 tsp Fine Salt
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tbsp Cornflour
400g Fior di Latte Mascarpone
1 tbsp Elderflower Cordial, plus extra to drizzle
600g Strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
Fresh Elderflower & Icing Sugar to dust.
1. Begin the day before you want to serve with the meringue. Preheat oven 100C Fan and lay out two baking trays. Cut out baking paper to fit the trays and draw 4 x 6” circles on the underside. Flip over and line the trays.
2. Put the egg whites and salt in a large clean bowl and whisk the eggs to medium peaks, add the sugar 1 tbsp at a time, whisking to make sure each has dissolved before adding the next, you can check this by rubbing between your fingertips, if you feel grains, keep whisking until its smooth and silky. This will prevent your meringues from ‘weeping’ in the oven.
3. Once the sugar is incorporated, whisk in the vanilla and fold in the cornflour.
4. Dab a teaspoon of meringue in the 4 corners of each piece of baking paper on the underside to stick it down.
5. Divide the meringue between your 4 circular outlines and smooth with a palette knife to form 4 discs.
6. Bake for 2 hours or until dry to touch, open the oven door slightly and allow to cool very slowly.
7. Remove and allow to come to room temperature before storing in an airtight container.
8. The next day, mix the elderflower cordial into the berries. Divide the mascarpone between the layers, forming a stack, add a few strawberries and their juices in each layer before piling the remainder on top.
9. Sprinkle with a touch more elderflower cordial and dust with icing sugar. Serve immediately in the sunshine.