‘But pleasures are like poppies spread, you seize the flower, the bloom is shed’ Robert Burns
Pleasures in life don’t last, but instead are enjoyed for the moment. Yes, the moment passes, but, just like flowers, they are replaced by new pleasures in full bloom.
Like these muffins, enjoyed for that fleeting moment and yearned until the next batch…
115g melted butter
200g caster sugar
2 Large Eggs, beaten
1 tsp Vanilla extract
100g Greek Yogurt
1 tbsp Baking Powder
½ tsp salt
250g Plain Flour
2tbsp Hibiscus Powder
200g Strawberries, chopped, mixed with 50g Plain Flour
10g Dehydrated Strawberries (optional)
Deverra & Pearl Sugar for Sprin kling
1. Preheat oven 220C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper liners.
2. Add the melted butter and sugar to the base of a stand mixer and beat on medium high for 5 minutes or until all the sugar has dissolved.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition to incorporate air.
4. Mix the yogurt with the buttermilk and vanilla and add this, mixing until only just combined.
5. Mix the flour with the baking powder, hibiscus and salt. Mix this in until just combined, a few lumps are fine, overmixing will result in a dense muffin.
6. Mix the fruit with the remaining 50g flour and fold through the batter, along with the dehydrated strawberries if using. Divide between the cases, filling ¾ full and sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
7. Bake for 5 minutes, reduce the temperature to 190C and bake for 15 minutes more. Cool for 15 minutes before devouring.