Never has there been a better Companion to the Homegrown Strawberry. Herbaceous, sweet, creamy & Tangy, it’s all that little plump red berry ever needed as a friend.
Simple to make, takes hours to enjoy.
60g Thai Basil
2 Limes, Zest, 1 Juiced
2 tbsp Vodka (optional but will make it softer set)
500ml Double Cream
100ml Whole Milk
1/8tsp Fine Salt
6 Egg Yolks
150g Caster Sugar
1. Add the cream, milk, salt and ½ the sugar to a pan and gently heat until dissolved. Increase the heat and bring to steaming point.
2. Meanwhile add the remaining sugar to the egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk to combine. It’s important not to do this too early or the yolks will break down.
3. When the cream mixture is steaming, pour half into the yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Pour the contents of the bowl back into the cream mixture and reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 7-10 minutes, or until the custard is coating consistency, you should be able to draw a line across the back of your spoon ith no leakage.
4. Add the custard to a blender, along with the Thai basil and blend until smooth.
5. Strain through a sieve into a bowl and mix in the lime juice, vodka and zest.
6. Chill overnight, covered to allow the flavours to develop.
7. The next day, churn in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If you don’t own a machine, freeze for one hour, blitz in a food processor and freeze again. Repeat every hour for 4 hours.
8. If using an ice cream machine, freeze for 30 minutes before serving, ideally with copious homegrown strawberries.