Nothing can bring me more joy than the smell of a tomato plant. Indescribably green, grassy, peppery, and sweet, it’s the scent of summer. It’s a touch early yet, but I prepare myself with this delicious soup. Right now, good quality canned tomatoes yield more flavour than tomatoes that haven’t been caressed by the summer sun. It’s not long to wait, I promise
3 tbsp Nutritional Yeast, plus extra to serve
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 Red Chillies, finely chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, unpeeled
2 tbsp Olive Oil
400ml Vegetable Stock
2 x 400g Tins Good Quality Chopped Tomatoes
1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
Sea Salt & Black Pepper to Season
½ tsp Salt
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
Chilli Oil, Crushed Cashews, Micro herbs to serve
1. Preheat oven 160C. Soak the cashews in plenty of cold water.
2. Add the yeast to a roasting tray and roast for 10-12 minutes or until just turning golden, set aside.
3. In a pan, add the olive oil. Heat over a medium heat and add the onions, chillies, and whole garlic cloves. Cook slowly for 10-15 minutes with a lid until everything is soft and turning translucent.
4. Remove the garlic, peel, and roughly chop, add back to the pan.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes, yeast, balsamic and stock. Simmer for 10 minutes.