I just love making seasonal edits for some of my most popular recipes. I feel influenced by the seasons as they uncurl their blanket across mother nature. Be it a sweep of verdant birth across a land so long pregnant over winter, or the ombre confetti of autumn leaves giving way to the stark reveal of winter’s icy kiss.
Every season has its ‘feel’ and to me, summer sings of English gardens and Glasses of Pimm’s amongst further Tropical Vibes.
Chocolate & Pimm’s are an unconventional pairing, but they sit together like a Chocolate dipped Strawberry on a stick. Rich and deep yet bright and fresh.
The added bonus is that this is entirely Vegan and is also suitable to be made with Gluten free Flour, so no on need miss out on the party.
Make it, love it and all that consume it.
If you don't want to add the Pimm's, just replace with an equal quantity of more Lemonade
225g Plain Flour
130g Light Brown Muscovado
70g Caster Sugar
75g Cocoa Powder
3 tsp Baking Powder
50ml Olive Oil
1 tsp Espresso Powder
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
90g Dark Chocolate, in small chunks
Strawberries, cucumber, Mint & apple (mixed with a little lemon juice to stop oxidation) to serve
1. Preheat Oven 170C. Grease and line a Bundt tin with cocoa powder. Set aside.
2. Mix the sugars, cocoa, flour, baking powder, salt, and espresso in a large bowl with a whisk. Make sure everything is evenly distributed and homogenous throughout.
3. In a jug, whisk the lemonade, Pimm’s and olive oil.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and whisk the mixture clockwise from the centre until just combined. Do not overmix and do not change the direction of the whisk or else you will end up with lumps.
5. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 35-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Invert the tin onto a wire rack and leave upside down for 10 minutes (with Bundt tins this helps them to release)
7. Release the cake and allow to cool completely before garnishing with Strawberries, Cucumber, Mint & Apple.
8. Serve with Vegan Cream or Ice Cream.