Seeing the first British Strawberries always scents the air with the heady warmth of summer. The sight and smell of those scarlet, juicy jewels just makes me feel a bit warmer. So today I played around with my Wasabi Plants and infused some cream to make the most heavenly Wasabi Leaf &Olive Oil Ice Cream. That peppery tang undulating through the grassy, creamy ice cream is divine. And it has no better friend than a juicy, ripe strawb.
20g Wasabi Leaves
500ml Whole Milk
200ml Double Cream
150g Golden Caster Sugar
6 Egg Yolks
60ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Strawberries and Olive Oil to Serve.
1. Begin 2 days before you want to serve. Add the cream, milk and wasabi leaves to a pan and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat, allow to cool and pop in the fridge, covered, overnight to infuse.
2. The next day, add the sugar to the pan and bring to a simmer once more. Beat the egg yolks in a bowl and add 1 ladle of the hot cream mixture to temper. Return the entire mix to the pan, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
3. Allow to cool and pop in the fridge overnight once more.
4. The next day, strain the mixture into an ice cream machine and churn foe 15 minutes. Slowly pour in the olive oil as the mixture is churning.
5. Finish churning according to the manufacturers instructions then freeze for an hour before serving with strawberries and an extra drizzle of olive oil.