NOSTALIGIA IS A FILE THAT REMOVES THE ROUGH EDGES FROM THE GOOD OLD DAYS
often I look back on things with rose tainted glasses, and long for times gone by.
But every now and then, something IS as good as I recall. Take the Retro Classic Cocktail: The Snowball. Sweet, rich, and brimming with fun, what better 3 elements are there to form into a Chocolate Truffle?
100ml Double Cream
30g Unsalted Butter
1 tsp Lemon Juice
2 tbsp Advocaat
200g White Chocolate, chopped small, plus 300g to coat
Small Pinch Salt
Gold Leaf or Icing Sugar to finish
1. Add the cream, butter and salt to a small pan and bring to a simmer, do not boil.
2. Once the butter has melted and you see steam on the surface pour over the 200g white chocolate and stand for 2 minutes without touching it.
3. Whisk from the outside in until smooth and homogenous. Add the lemon and Advocaat and whisk again. Line a tray with non-stick paper.
4. Pop in the fridge for at least 2 hours to set. Once set. Use a teaspoon to scoop out 18-20 portions and quickly roll into balls with your hands. Pop onto you lined tray and freeze for 1 hour.
5. Once solid, melt the remaining 230g White chocolate, keeping 70g back in 30 second bursts in the microwave, stirring in between. Add the remaining 70g and stir in, this will temper the chocolate.
6. Using a fork, dip each truffle in the chocolate, allowing the excess to drip off. Return to your lined tray and allow to set.
7. Once set, decorate with gold leaf or icing sugar. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 weeks or freeze for 2 months. Dust with icing sugar after they have thawed.