White Velvet Cake
WHITE VELVET CAKE
227g Unsalted Butter, softened
425g Caster Sugar
190g Egg Whites
368g Plain White Cake Flour
13g Baking Powder
Red Food Colouring
454g Butter, softened
250g Icing Sugar
2-4 tbsp Milk
1. Grease, line and flour 3 x 8” Baking tins. Set aside in the fridge. Preheat oven 170C.
2. Cream the butter and sugar with the paddle attachment in a stand mixer for at least 10 minutes or until pale and fluffy.
3. Beat in the egg whites a little at a time until incorporated.
4. Mix the flour, salt and baking powder and add in 3 batches to the butter, alternating with the buttermilk.
5. Remove 567g (approx.) from the mix and level off in a baking tin. Repeat with another 567g and tin. With the remaining 567g, add red food colouring to your desired colour and mix in. Transfer to the third tin.
6. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in the tin before turning out to cool completely.
7. For the frosting, beat the butter until smooth, add in the icing sugar and beat 4-5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add in enough milk to make a spreadable consistency. Frost the cake as desired and serve.