‘TO BEEK’ Luxuriate for a while in the warmth of the sun, moment, or other people.
If spring could have a flavour, this would be it. Fresh, earthy, and full of promise. It’s just delicious on so many levels. Make it and adorn it with Nature’s bounty, she has so much to offer.
220g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
400g Caster Sugar
200g Plain Flour
180g Wholewheat Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Flaky Salt
4 Eggs, room temperature
230ml Whole Milk
10ml Lemon Juice
2tsp Lemon Extract
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
400g Caster Sugar
230g Egg White
350g Unsalted Butter
1 tbsp Limoncello
1 Lemon, zest
Spring Flowers to decorate
1. Preheat oven 175C.Grease, line, and flour two 8” cake tins. Set aside in the fridge.
2. Add the butter and caster sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium high until light and fluffy, about 5-6 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the flours, poppyseeds, salt & baking powder in a bowl until homogenous. In a separate bowl, whisk the milk with the lemon juice, lemon, and vanilla extracts.
4. Add the eggs to the butter mixture, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds between each addition. Add ¼ of the flour, followed but ¼ of the milk mixture, mixing until only just combined. Repeat with 3 batches of each, alternating as you go. It’s important not to overmix or your cake will be tough.
5. Divide the batter evenly between your two tins and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden and springy. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. For the buttercream, whisk the sugar into the egg whites and place over a double boiler. Continue whisking until all the sugar has dissolved and the mixture feels hot to the touch (on a thermometer it should be around 72C)
7. Dry the base of the bowl and beat on a stand mixer with the whisk attachment until stiff, glossy peaks form and the meringue has cooled. This will take 10-12 minutes.
8. Add the butter 1tbsp at a time, beating well between each addition. Finally add the lemon extract, limoncello and salt.
9. Once thick and smooth, use to fill and frost your cake. Decorate with spring flowers.