Wild Arbor Vegan Cherry Mudslide Layer Cake
CHERRY MUDSLIDE LAYER CAKE
60ml Wild Arbour
315g Plain Flour
300g Caster Sugar
1 ½ tsp Bicarbonate Soda
½ tsp Salt
360ml Almond Milk
2 tsp Almond Extract
120ml Rapeseed Oil
1 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
10 Drops Food Colouring (optional)
550g Icing Sugar, sifted
120g Vegan Butter
60ml Almond Milk
1 tsp Wild Arbour
Fresh Cherries to decorate
1. For the cake. Preheat oven 180C. Grease and line 4 x 8” cake tins, set aside.
2. Sift the flour into a bowl with the Bicarbonate Soda and Salt. Whisk in the sugar.
3. Mix the Milk, Almond Extract, Oil & Vinegar in a jug and pour into the dry ingredients.
4. Whisk by hand until just combined (do not overmix) and divide into 4 bowls. Add 4 drops of colouring to one bowl, 3 to the next, then 2, then 1 drop to create graduating colours. Mix gently then pour into the prepared tins.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before removing and cooling completely on a wire rack.
6. Meanwhile make the buttercream.
7. Beat the butter in a mixer for a minute until smooth. Add the icing sugar and beat slowly until combined. Add the wild arbour and a splash of the milk and beat until smooth. Add as much milk as you need to reach a buttercream consistency. If it appears thin, sift in more sugar.
8. To assemble, use a cookie cutter to cut circles out of each cake. Starting with the darkest, layer each cake, adding 1 tsp wild arbour to soak each layer, before spreading with buttercream.
9. Set in the fridge until firm before icing the sides of the cake. Top with cherries and serve.